Posted by Joel Gwillim on Friday, March 21st, 2014 at 2:35pm.
A few months back I posted the DO NOT's of buying Real Estate, so I figured it's time to aid and come to the rescue of those selling! Selling a home can be a stressful time. Let's ease that tension and get you going on the right path by knowing the wrongs. Here are a few tips on what not to do, when selling real estate:
- Don't make it hard for buyers to access your property. Clean, shovel snow, and are you saying no to a lot of showings?
- Don't make a hard sell on your very own property. When a prospective buyer has an appointment, leave! Don't make an awkward situation for them.
- Don't think the 'waiting until Spring' moto is always best. Do you really want all that competition? Consider times when inventory levels are down.
- Don't forget to market your home in everyway possible. Professional photography, floor plans, summer/green pictures, area information...the list goes on!
- Don't go overboard with renovations without thinking about resale. Certain renovations can be too personal. Is the new buyer going to like your pick of fancy or potentially pricey upgrades?
- Don't think that being a FSBO [For Sale By Owner] is an easy task. I don't know why anyone would put themself through this. Want to navigate through the stress and legally binding contracts on your own? Alright.
- Don't do major alterations right before listing your property. A lot of the time the buyer won't see the need or value for some changes, and therefore won't pay for them.
- Don't set your asking price too high. Don't get caught in the depressing downward spriral of price reductions just because you wanted to 'test the market' at said price - be realistic.
- Don't overlook staging or showcasing your property properly. That money invested will come back in either a quicker closing or a higher sale price.
- Don't show your home 'as-is'. Always keep it show worthy, presentable, and ready to go in case someone wants in ASAP.
- Don't just settle on any Agent. Hire someone familiar with the property you are selling and the demographic to which will be purchasing. Simple as that.
Preparation, cleaning, timing, market research - all important aspects of selling a property. Let's sell your biggest asset with confidence and pride! Showcase all the beautiful aspects of that house and make it stand out.
Committed to your successful and stress free sale,